July 5 – Today’s Readings – Isaiah 16-18 and Psalms 5
Psalms 5: 1-3 reads this way; “Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.”
How many times have you heard great men and women of God speak about their devotional lives and the times they spend with the Lord in the morning hours?
In Mark 1: 35-36, it is said of Jesus; “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him” I think perhaps there is a secret we can learn from these verses:
– If we seek Him early in the day, this action sets our direction so we can walk with Him throughout the waking hours.
– When we open our hearts to the Lord, asking for direction, priorities, guidance, wisdom and the leading of the Holy Spirit, we give ourselves a chance to “tune in” to the voice of the Holy Spirit before all the “clutter” of the day overwhelms.
– We can then expect great things from each and every day. We can expect “divine encounters”, words placed on our lips by God Himself, a “sensing” of the corrective voice of God or the directive voice of God.
Exodus 16:21 reads, “Each morning everyone gathered as much as he needed, and when the sun grew hot, it melted away.” This passage refers to the “manna” or “provision” of the Lord for the Israelites in the desert but it also refers to the Word of God – how it needs to be fresh for us each day – how our relationship with “father” needs to be renewed each and every morning. Yesterday’s life-giving bread is not enough. We function, not on yesterday’s anointing, but in the moment. The alternative is that we continue to get up at the very last minute and run out the door with nothing but panic on your minds. A comedian once rightly questioned, “How do you greet the day? Is it, ‘Good morning God?’ – Or is it, ‘Good God! Its morning!” It’s decision time again – time to make a lifestyle choice for a much healthier and stress-managed life. Start today – Give the day to Jesus and see how you will be a much “nicer” person all around!
1. Do you have a regularly scheduled prayer time that you try to keep?
2. Do you have a regular Bible reading time built into your schedule?
If you don’t – (and most people don’t) – then take some simple steps – try going to scheduled prayer meetings or perhaps sit with your Bible and a cup of tea and commune with The Lord – it takes about an hour – and it sets me straight.