August 7 – Today’s Readings – Jeremiah 31-33 and Psalms 37
What a prophet! Look again at Chapter 31:33-34 – “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them in their hearts. I will be their God and they will be my people. No longer will a man teach his neighbor or a man his brother, saying know the Lord, because they will all know me from the least of them to the greatest.”
Compare this to the book of Hebrews where we read:
– “Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: ‘Today, if you hear his voice do not harden your hearts.” [Hebrews 4:7]
– “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.” [Hebrews 8:10]
– “This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.” [Hebrews 10:16]
All of this is precisely what the Holy Spirit of God has done in us! It’s certainly one of the greatest miracles of all eternity, yet it’s hardly ever mentioned as a miracle. When the Holy Spirit fills our lives, the very Spirit who authored the World and the Word of God becomes our resident teacher.
In this passage Jeremiah is speaking to Israel BEFORE their captivity in Babylon, telling them about the New Testament – of what the sacrifice of the Cross of Jesus would do for the world. The Israelites heard it then and ignored it. I wonder if we have really heard it now? This was a brand new thing – God writing His Word on our hearts and in our minds – so that we can’t escape it and so that it will always be with us. God now speaks to us so that we can plainly hear Him – so that we can receive “teaching” from the Holy Spirit as we go along! WOW! What an adventure we have gotten ourselves into – walking and talking with Jesus – doing the bidding of God Almighty – hearing the whispers of the God of all eternity in every situation. This is the new living way that God meant mankind to live. Lets take full advantage of this wonderful spiritual ability that God has given us.
“He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.” (John 8:47)
1. Tell of another Old Testament situation where God was plainly speaking of the Holy Spirit living in out hearts.
2. Give a specific example of how the Holy Spirit has spoken directly into your heart.